Saturday, November 24, 2012

NEW GARDEN CHANGES

It has been more than a year since my last post and for that I apologize. Much has happened in my personal life during this past year and a half with most traumatic being the death of my husband, Jim. His death put many things on hold including regular posts to this blog.
In Jim's memory I have made many changes to both the gardens and interior of my home. The image to the left is a great example of one of the many changes. I originally had a large pond and a narrow stream that flowed into a smaller pond. The large pond is gone - replaced by a sunken garden. The longer stream is gone  and replaced by the water feature shown in left image. I love it. To see more of the backyard changes, please visit my new website page My New Sunken Garden.  This new feature still has a stream and this shorter stream still flows beneath my new cedar bridge and empties into the smaller pond.

I am totally in awe of my new sunken garden. I can't believe that my design ideas came to flourishen. Take a look a the image below.

This image to the left shows the Grand Rosetta Flagstone pathway leading to the inground pool and new sunroom. Many new boulders were moved to this area as well as newly planted shrubs, CAST low voltage lighting and improvements to the original 10 ft. high waterfall. River rock was added around the new boulders and drainage bins were installed.
The waterfall now drops down into a small catch basin and recirculates. Fred and Wilma still stand guard and a great patio area waits for a new set of outdoor table and chairs. The larger flagstone pieces make for a great pathway and I decided to have the cracks filled with a polymor substance instead of just sand. The polymor hardens like cement and thus helps to prevent weeds from settling. Thankfully, the sound of the water rushing down the limestone and the croaking frogs can still be heard over the screaming kids in the new inground pool!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment